Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Tanking like Michael Dukakis

My Boston Celtics are facing a rare must-lose situation, and it certainly seems they realize it.

Only two games separate us and the abysmal Milwaukee Bucks for the second-worst record in the NBA, and draft-positioning for sure-fire franchise players Greg Oden and Kevin Durant will be at stake tonight when the two cellar-dwellers do battle at the Bradley Center.

That's why I got so excited earlier today when I came across a news bulletin on Celtics.com which informed me that star forward "Big" Al Jefferson probably wouldn't be available to play tonight due to a "bumped knee." Several hours later, another story was added, explaining that the C's had inked to a 10-day contract a guy named Kevinn (yes, there are two n's - that's not a typo!) Pinkney, straight from the Bakersfield Jam of the Developmental League.

Simply brilliant.

Maybe I should be ashamed that my team appears to be tanking so blatantly, but I'm actually pretty okay with it. Let's do this thing. Goooooooo (other) team!

No comments: