Sunday, September 27, 2009

A post-sweep thought

From the April 2 edition of the Ionian, my side of an "Issue of the Issue" debate about which New York baseball team would be better in '09, arguing for the Yankees:

"...You see, in truth, I don’t know all that much about Major League Baseball. I’d describe myself as a “casual fan” at best. I catch a game or two when I can, but I don’t comprehend all the nuances of what I’m watching, nor do I have any grasp on the strengths and weaknesses of individual players or teams as a whole. The only sport I can analyze on that level is basketball. But I do understand the Yankees, specifically, on a metaphysical level.

I’ll never forget the first time I walked into Yankee Stadium while on a summer trip through my high school to the City That Never Sleeps. Chills ran through me as I felt this indescribable but oh-so-real sense of horror and dread. As Red Sox owner John Henry would perhaps have described it, I was just feeling the effects of arriving at the epicenter of the Evil Empire.

The New York Yankees are an entity fueled by all things bad and unholy. And over the course of this offseason, the Yanks fueled up mightily. Between a shameless spending spree by Brian Cashman that could even make a Sox fan blush without fear of hypocrisy and, of course, all of A-Rod’s varied shenanigans, the Yankees might be more genuinely unlikeable than ever before.

Which is exactly why they’ll succeed.

The Bronx Bombers will succeed, to some degree or another, because that’s how these things work. A Yankees club this reprehensible isn’t wasted on the ages by not making the playoffs. But we’ll be rooting against them every step of the way, and we’ll have to root hard..."

October = Return of the Jedi???

No comments: